Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The IPO Concert

Tuned in just in time for the opening of the Brahms Piano Concerto #1, Mehta conducting, Barenboim on the piano. I will probably be way off base with what I say, but I had the feeling at times that the playing a a little on the lethargic side. This may be because I'm used to recordings where the pace set by the soloist borders on the frenetic. I will say that I took notice of a neat little fugal interlude in the finale for the first time.

Generally, I tend not to appreciate Brahms' piano music as much as I do his symphonies, overtures and the violin concerto. A few of the solo pieces attract me, but not really the concertos. Not sure why. There seems to be a thumping quality to them that just doesn't do anything for me. Delicate passages get buried. It's a pity. Brahms is one of the finer composers. Barenboim's slightly slower pace has allowed me to appreciate this concerto a bit more. I suppose for that, I should thank him.

Anyone have his address?

No comments: