Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Beethoven Symphony #1

Listened to Sir Charles Mackerras leading the Scottish Chamber Orchestra in Beethoven's Symphony No. 1 yesterday on the radio. A wonderful performance. Haven't looked up the record label yet, but it certainly sounded like it was worth getting. The tempos throughout were on the quick side and the middle two movements were most revealing, but that's just the thing, no? I mean if you can produce a revealing performance of one of the most widely recorded symphonies in the repertoire, then you've done something worthwhile. Trumpet calls in the last movement, for instance, were something I hadn't clearly heard before.

I guess I'm saying it's the best performance I've heard though I have several recordings including Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic pounded away at it. Also, Josef Krips and Fritz Reiner conducting and quite possibly others.

Just searched out the disk. It's part of a set and a bit out of my price range for right now. Ah well, here is a link. Took me a little bit to find it, but there are samples, etc.

No comments: